Thursday, August 20, 2009

Elena

My friend Elena Ramirez passed away last evening from a sudden illness.

When I started as a free-lance grip at the PBS station, she was a producer I'd get sent out with for local stories. She drove me absolutely crazy with what I perceived as her being so slow with her questions during interviews... sometime going 3 hours with a guest for a 6 min segment. I wanted to pull my hair out. Hers too.

Now, having known her for over 5 years, I know that what she was doing was being very careful, very methodical, very professional and very good. She wanted to get it right, and there is nothing wrong with that, no matter how long things take.

Elena's heart was in the right place... looking out for the less fortunate. The underdogs. And she pushed me to do stories I wouldn't have otherwise.

Thanks for pushing me to do the right thing every once-in-a-while, Elena.
I'll miss you very much.

No comments: